This is a dataset template to extract and store customer license and utilization information from Partner Center and customer tenants for comprehensive reporting.
In addition to usage by templates published within Voleer, you can also connect Power BI directly to this dataset for visualization and reporting.
This template imports the following information from Partner Center and Microsoft 365 into the dataset:
- Subscription information per customer including SKU, start and end dates
- Utilization of services for Exchange, OneDrive, SharePoint, Skype for Business, Yammer and Teams
- Allocation of licenses per user
To run this, you will require a Microsoft Partner Center account with the following requirements:
- Global Administrator (GA) rights
- Microsoft Partner Center Admin
- Account has to be a member of the AdminAgents security group
- Account has to have MFA enabled
To grant an account the Microsoft Partner Center Admin role:
- Login to https://admin.microsoft.com with a different admin account
- Go to Users > Active Users
- Select the account that you want to grant Microsoft Partner Center Admin role to
- Select Manage Roles
- Tick the checkbox Make this user an admin for partner companies and select Full administration as the security role
- If the checkbox doesn’t exist, you can skip this step.
To add the GA account to the AdminAgents security group, complete the following steps:
- Login to https://admin.microsoft.com
- Select Groups from the navigation pane and then Active Groups
- Find the group name AdminAgents and select it
- Select Members , then View all and manage members
- Select Add Members , select the GA account and the click Add
Customer utilization data can only be retrieved on tenants where your Microsoft Partner Center account has delegate administrator rights. For more information about these rights, read Obtain permissions to manage a customer’s service or subscription
To start using this template, perform the following:
Find and click on the tile labelled Microsoft Partner Dataset - Import License Utilization template from the list of templates within the library
Select a workspace from the dropdown and click on Launch
Provide a Dataset name and Description (Optional), then click on Continue.
TIP - For easy reference, putting in the tenant domain name as the dataset name will help with managing your dataset
Authorize Access to Microsoft Graph by 1) Copying the code, 2) Visiting the link https://microsoft.com/devicecode and completing the authentication process with your Partner Center Global Administrator credentials, and then 3) Clicking on the Validate button
Repeat the same steps as 7 for any other authorization and authentication forms.
Configure the dataset template by filling out the Retention Period section
Note - by using the defaults, it will have a retention period of 1 year
Once section is completed, click on Validate Template Configuration.
Provide the email addresses of recipients who should receive notifications on the changes to the dataset. These notifications include information such as the number of new and deleted records and links to useful information.
Click on Validate Template Configuration
Review the configuration on the Summary page, then click on Acknowledge and Create Dataset.
Congratulations, the Partner License Utilization Dataset is now being provisioned!
Depending on the size of your tenant, it may take some time to populate the dataset for the first time. But note that subsequent refreshes will be a fraction of the time!
By default, the dataset is configured to be refreshed on a daily basis at 12:00 AM UTC. If you rather update the refresh to occur during non-business hours, click on Change Schedule and update the timezone and time value.
TIP - Keep the Repeat at daily to ensure data doesn’t get stale within your dataset
Post a comment in this article and someone will get back to you as soon as possible