Microsoft 365 Tenant Migration Assessment [Template]

Overview

This template produces a Microsoft 365 tenant assessment that provides information about your Microsoft 365 tenant environment such as mailboxes, OneDrive For Business, SharePoint Online, Microsoft Teams, Public Folders, as well as other additional tenant objects that will give a clear analysis of your current tenant. It also allows you to estimate the number of MigrationWiz licenses needed and the estimated licensing cost to migrate.

This is especially useful in the following use cases:

• Microsoft 365 tenant to tenant pre-migration assessment providing information about the source tenant.
  • Microsoft 365 tenant to tenant post-migration assessment providing information about the destination tenant once the migration has been completed to compare both source and destination objects.
  • General purpose Office tenant assessment.

How it works

This template will retrieve data across Microsoft 365 to generate a report detailing information about all these tenant objects and their more relevant attributes in the context of a tenant-to-tenant migration:

• Domains added to the Microsoft 365 tenant
  • Mailboxes including:
    • User Mailboxes
    • Non-user mailboxes
    • Archive mailboxes
    • Inactive Mailboxes
    • On hold mailboxes
  • Microsoft 365 licenses and licenses applied to users.
  • Mailbox permissions:
    • FullAccess
    • SendAs
    • SendOnBehalfOf
  • Non-mailbox users:
    • Unlicensed users
    • Guest users
  • Organizational contacts
  • Distribution groups and dynamic distribution groups
  • Security groups and mail-enabled security groups
  • SharePoint Online security groups
  • OneDrive For Business accounts
  • Classic SharePoint Online sites
  • Microsoft 365 unified groups
  • Microsoft Teams
  • Microsoft 365 Public Folders
  • Microsoft 365 tenant settings like role memberships
  • BitTitan licenses required to migrate all objects above using BitTitan MigrationWiz

Requirements

To run this report, you will require an Azure account with the rights to

• Create an application registration
  • Assign admin-consent application permissions

The inbuilt Global Administrator role has these rights enabled

The App Registration created by Voleer will be assigned the following permissions:

Azure Active Directory Graph

• Read directory data

Microsoft Graph

• Read all groups
  • Read all users’ full profiles
  • Read items in all site collections
  • Read all files that user can access
  • Maintain access to data you have given it access to
  • Read directory data

Getting Started

1. Launch the Microsoft 365 Tenant Migration Assessment template from the library by following these instructions:

2. Select or create your Workspace and click Launch![image|514x225]

3. When prompted, 1) copy the code, and then 2) click on Authenticate.

4. Paste the code into the text box, then click on Next

5. Complete the Microsoft sign-in process and Accept the permissions requested

Authentication for this step is completed when you see the below

6. Next, Authorize Access by clicking on the Authorize button

Click on Accept on the Permissions requested

Authorization for this step is completed when you see the below

7. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 for the other Authentication steps (2 of 3 and 3 of 3)

8. When you reach the Authorizing Sharepoint Enterprise Application for Graph API access, Click on Authorize to complete the step

9. Once you have completed the authentication steps, you will be prompted to select the domains and the individual components of the assessment that you want. Complete the form and then click Submit

10. The tenant analysis will begin. You will see the tasks complete one after the other until you have a successful execution.

11. Congratulations! You will now be able to click the link and download the Microsoft 365 Tenant Migration Assessment report.

Sign in or Sign up to use this template

Can we look to add to the UserMailboxes, NonUserMailboxes, UserMailboxesLargerthan50, NonUserMailboxesLargerThan50 the following attributes of Firstname and LastName.
The Display name attribute is ok but when looking to do migrations tenant to tenant, we are looking to leverage this data assessment to bulk create either contacts or AD objects. Display name is not always a logical split on space for first name last name. Having these as defined fields allows for better data usage and reporting.

Thank you sharing!
to confirm you are looking to add the first name to a column and the last name to a column, correct?

Yes, that is correct add firstname and lastname to reports. This allows us to customize the Displayname when on boarding users as we can use firstname and lastname combinations and cultures using family names are not impacted by trying to split the display name.

Wayne

thank you for the clarity. We are determining the best path forward to support this and other types of data points not made available thru the existing scripts, while balancing the performance/scalability of the assessments for larger organizations. More to come…

When running a Microsoft 365 Tenant Migration Assessment. How long would it take to complete. I start mine today a 8:46 am and some data appeared at 1:46 pm however it almost 6:00 PM and the assessment has not completed.

Thank you for posting. The amount of time can vary depending on the complexity of the M365 tenant being assessed. If you made it past the initial authentication setup steps, there may be other factors prohibiting the template to complete. I am seeing other successful executions of that template and tested the template myself prior to this post.
I will send you a meeting request so we can connect and trouble shoot.

Thank you,
Willie

My past Tenant Migration Assessment 2 weeks ago completed in about 10 hours. However, today’s runs are taking far longer. For example the get mailbox details are running about 1 mailbox per minute based on the status every 10 min. We have a migration scheduled soon and we are using these reports to execute tasks. Please respond soon with guidance to speed up the process.

January 13, 2022, 09:19:32 PM
Processed 715 (10.12%) of 7067 total mailboxes.
January 13, 2022, 09:09:15 PM
Processed 706 (9.99%) of 7067 total mailboxes.
January 13, 2022, 08:58:56 PM
Processed 697 (9.86%) of 7067 total mailboxes.

Hello Support,

I’ve run this previously in another tenant without issue.

“Enter code
Enter the code displayed on your app or device.
That code didn’t work. Check the code and try again.”

What can be done to troubleshoot when the 2nd Authorisation request is not accepted by Microsoft please ?

I.e. the first (device auth?) succeeds and progresses onto #2 but this code is not accepted by M365

Things I have tried :
Remove the Voleer enterprise app that has appeared and start again
Run it in a new workspace
Type the code manually and/or cut’n’paste
Waited 10 minutes and try again

For anyone who has the same issue, the answer was provided by Bittitan staff in Helsinki and it was simply “operator error” :slight_smile:

When performing the authentication steps I was scrolling down the screen when step 1 was completed, this is wrong !

I needed to remain at the top of the screen and work “upwards” … i.e. the next auth step was added above the one I had just done.

So yeah that.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi, is there any problems with service? All tasks for Migration assessment are failing and I can’t register Voleer Apps in Azure.

Dear support, I´m tryng to Launch this assessment, but it never starts. It´s being runing for about 12h and its on the 1st step. I have created a new one, with a new workspace but It does not works:

Authenticate to your Microsoft 365 tenant
In Progress…
The step is running.
June 15, 2023, 12:19:50 PM
The step was started.

I have tried:
-Chrome
-Firefox
-Opera
-Edge

After a long while, it showed time out:

Timed Out

Microsoft 365 Tenant Migration Assessment has timed out.

DateJun 15, 2023 - Jun 16, 2023

Duration

1d 5s

There’s been some temporary issues with the authentication but now it’s running smoothly.

Error Connecting to Exchange Online after 5 retries. Connecting to remote server outlook.office365.com failed with the following error message : For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

Getting the above error each time I try to run assessment except for existing ones. Please help

Hello,

After registering and trying to run the Voleer assessment tool… the Library gives following message: An error occurred A few weeks ago the tool worked just fine, but not anymore.

Tried to register with different accounts, <.voleer.io> domains and different browsers and OS (PS version 2 vs 3…) Same error!?

Is there something wrong with the Voleer tool or am I doing something wrong?

Deprecation of Remote PowerShell in Exchange Online – Re-enabling or Extending RPS support - Microsoft Community Hub
RPS needs to be enabled, follow these steps to solve the issue

There seemed to be technical problems that are solved now. I managed to run assessment without any issues yesterday.

Thanks for this awesome article to make the process simpler. I found it very helpful. Can I also used to Transfer Office 365 Mailbox to Another Account ? Because I need to migrate all the connected Office 365 accounts to another account for the business compliances.