This template produces a Microsoft 365 Teams migration assessment that provides information about your Microsoft 365 Teams environment such as number of Teams, Channels, if they are public or private, total storage, linked and unlinked SharePoint folders, users, owners, Team permissions well as other additional Teams objects that will give a clear analysis of your current Teams and prepares you for your upcoming migration. It also allows you to estimate the number of MigrationWiz licenses needed and the estimated licensing cost to migrate.
This is especially useful in the following use cases:
- Microsoft 365 Teams to Teams pre-migration assessment providing information about the source Teams.
- Microsoft 365 Teams to Teams post-migration assessment providing information about the destination Teams once the migration has been completed to compare both source and destination objects.
- General purpose Office Teams assessment.
This template will retrieve data across Microsoft 365 to generate a report detailing information about all these tenant objects and their more relevant attributes in the context of a Teams to Teams migration:
- All Teams, public and private
- Teams over 100GB
- All Channels, public and private
- Linked SharePoint folders
- Unlinked SharePoint folders
- Top 5 Teams and top 5 Channels by size
- Owners and Members
- Is Team renamed
- Is Team Archived
- Mail nickname
- SharePoint Site URL
- Primary SMTP Address
- Team Id
- User last log on dates
- Teams policies
- Objects, Team and Owner
- And much, much more…
Azure account with:
- rights to create an application registration
- rights to assign admin-consent application permissions
Application Registration permissions assigned:
Azure Active Directory Graph
- Read directory data
- Read the members of all channels
- Read directory data
- Read files in all site collections (Used to determine team and channel storage consumption)
- Read and write all groups
- Read items in all site collections (Used to identify unlinked site collections)
- Read the members of all teams
- Read all users’ full profiles
Launch the Microsoft 365 Teams Migration Assessment template from the library.
Select or create your Workspace and click Launch
When prompted, complete the device code authentication flow. Click the https://microsoft.com/devicelogin link to open a new browser tab and enter the code . Log in using the appropriately permissioned credentials and close the tab.
You will repeat this step multiple times as well as clicking an Authorize Voleer application registration multiple times. This portion of the process is built to automatically advance to the next device code step or authorization step until you have completed all required authentication steps.
Special note If you are a Microsoft CSP partner, there is a special feature that is credential specific which will create a prompt to select from a list of your CSP managed accounts. If you are not a Microsoft partner you will not see this prompt.
Next you have the option to select yes/no for the Simple Replay feature. This feature is currently exclusive to this template. It allows you to default the current M365 tenant account to the selected Workspace. ‘Yes’ sets the tenant as the default, ‘No’ leaves the Workspace open to different M365 tenant runs for this template.
Once the Simple Replay has been selected and submitted, the Teams analysis will begin. You will see the tasks complete one after the other until you have a successful execution.
Congratulations! You will now be able to click the link and download the Microsoft Teams Migration Assessment report.
- If applicable: schedule the template as a recurring job